Current Watches and Warnings
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:06 PM CDT on July 26, 2016
... Public information statement...
... Severe Thunderstorm Watch safety rules...
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means that conditions are favorable
for the development of severe weather in the designated area.
During a watch there is no cause for immediate concern. You should
go about your normal business... but be on the lookout and keep up
to date on the latest weather developments. Public safety
officials should activate prearranged plans.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning... on the other hand... means that a
severe thunderstorm has been sighted or indicated by radar. People
in the path of the storm should take immediate action to safeguard
themselves and their family.
Technically speaking... a severe thunderstorm is defined as having
wind gusts which exceed 58 mph and/or hail at least 1 inch in
diameter. However... as these storms develop... they can be
accompanied by tornadoes. Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or other
local media to learn if a warning has been issued for your area.
Also... keep a close watch on the thunderstorms as tornadoes can
form quickly. If you see a tornado... move quickly into a basement.
If none is available... seek shelter in a small interior room on
the lowest floor and stay away from outside walls... doors and
windows. In schools... factories or other institutional type
buildings... stay out of auditoriums and gymnasiums.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Blowing Dust Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- California - Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report
- Delaware - Record Report
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Illinois - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Record Report
- Maryland - Record Report
- Michigan - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Special Statement , Record Report
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- New Jersey - Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- New York - Record Report
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Oregon - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- South Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flash Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report