Current Watches and Warnings
California, San Luis Obispo County Central Coast
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 8:48 PM PDT on October 17, 2017
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on October 21, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from Friday morning
through Friday evening...
* hazards... possible high surf 14 to 20 feet could develop by
Friday morning and continuing through late Saturday evening. A
strong storm in the Gulf of Alaska will generate large swells
with a long period, that are forecast to reach the central
coast by Friday morning. At this point, the peak of the
largest surf should occur Friday evening through early
Saturday morning. Surf will likely begin to decrease by
Saturday afternoon but should still remain above 10 feet
through Saturday evening.
* Impacts... large powerful waves and strong currents could
create a risk of ocean drowning. Sneaker waves can suddenly
overrun previously dry beaches and jetties. Flooding of low
lying beach parking lots, Harbor walkways, and campgrounds
could be possible
A beach hazards statement is issued when threats such as rip
currents... longshore currents... sneaker waves and other hazards
create life-threatening conditions in the surf zone. Swim near a
lifeguard. If caught in a rip current, relax and float. Don't
swim against the current. If able, swim in a direction following
the shoreline. If unable to escape, face the shore and call or
wave for help.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 9:06 PM PDT on October 17, 2017
... Wind reports the last 3 hours...
Location speed time/date elevation (ft.)
... Other nearby areas...
San Clemente Island RAWS 29 mph 0630 PM 10/17 700
... Ventura County coastal valleys...
Malibu Hills (decker cyn) 28 mph 0751 PM 10/17 1235
6 SW Thousand Oaks 26 mph 0615 PM 10/17 3110
... Santa Monica Mountains recreational area...
Saddle Peak 27 mph 0650 PM 10/17 2450
... Santa Cruz and anacapa islands...
Anacapa Island 28 mph 0623 PM 10/17 276
Santa Cruz Island central 28 mph 0640 PM 10/17 75
... Santa Barbara County South Coast...
Refugio state beach (2 ne) 54 mph 0700 PM 10/17 620
Refugio hills 49 mph 0606 PM 10/17 1464
Gaviota State Park 42 mph 0710 PM 10/17 87
San Marcos Pass RAWS 40 mph 0606 PM 10/17 1491
Gaviota 35 mph 0708 PM 10/17 147
Montecito city 27 mph 0807 PM 10/17 285
... Santa Barbara County mountains...
Montecito hills 41 mph 0747 PM 10/17 1619
... Santa Barbara County central coast...
Jalama beach 38 mph 0636 PM 10/17 29
pt. Conception lighthouse 34 mph 0609 PM 10/17 24
Point Arguello cman 29 mph 0700 PM 10/17 105
Lompoc Hills 29 mph 0738 PM 10/17 1528
... Los Angeles County mountains excluding the Santa Monica range...
Sandberg 33 mph 0704 PM 10/17 4510
Whitaker Peak 29 mph 0757 PM 10/17 4120
... Catalina and Santa Barbara islands...
Santa Barbara Island 29 mph 0613 PM 10/17 359
... Antelope Valley...
Palmdale apt. 35 mph 0659 PM 10/17 2543
... Maritime stations...
38 S Refugio state beach 48 mph 0659 PM 10/17 0
Observations are collected from a variety of sources with varying
equipment and exposures. We thank all volunteer weather observers
for their dedication. Not all data listed are considered official.
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Arizona - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory, High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado -
- District of Columbia - Frost Advisory
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Coastal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Kentucky - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning
- Maryland - Frost Advisory
- Massachusetts -
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Missouri -
- Montana - High Wind Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- New Jersey - Frost Advisory
- New Mexico -
- New York -
- North Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Frost Advisory
- Oregon - Wind Advisory, High Wind Watch , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Special Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory
- Wisconsin -
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement