Current Watches and Warnings
California, San Bernardino and Riverside County Valleys-The Inland Empire
Excessive Heat Warning, Wind Advisory
Statement as of 2:42 AM PDT on October 23, 2017
Expires 5:00 PM EDT on October 25, 2017
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 2 PM PDT Wednesday...
... Excessive heat warning remains in effect from 10 am this
morning to 8 PM PDT Tuesday...
* temperature... highs from 98 to 106 for inland Orange County
and the western inland Empire and the western valleys in San
Diego County. The heat will likely reach all the way to the
coast where highs will range from the mid 80s to the mid 90s.
Beach communities in Orange County may exceed 95 degrees
* Impacts... heat related illness is likely for those involved in
strenuous outdoor activity, or those with health conditions
that do not have adequate access to air conditioning. If
untreated, heat illness events could be fatal. Never leave
children or pets inside a parked car!
* Winds... northeast winds increasing to 20 to 30 mph with gusts
of 50 mph today in the mountain passes, foothills and sections
of the inland Empire. Stronger winds tonight and Tuesday with 25
to 35 mph winds gusting to 60 mph. In coastal Orange County, 15
to 25 mph winds with gusts to 40 mph are possible Tuesday.
Winds will not be quite as strong nor widespread for Tuesday
night into Wednesday morning with areas of northeast winds 15 to
25 mph with gusts to 45 mph.
* Impacts... hazardous travel for high profile vehicles. Watch for
broken tree limbs and downed Palm fronds.
* Outlook... weaker winds for Thursday and Friday with a slow
An excessive heat warning means that a prolonged period of
dangerously hot temperatures will occur. The combination of hot
temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous
situation in which heat illnesses are likely. Drink plenty of
fluids... stay in an air-conditioned room... stay out of the sun...
and check up on relatives and neighbors.
A Wind Advisory means that winds of 35 mph are expected. Winds
this strong can make driving difficult... especially for high
profile vehicles. Use extra caution.
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 3:04 AM PDT on October 23, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on October 25, 2017
... Red flag warning remains in effect until 6 PM PDT Wednesday
for strong gusty winds and low humidity...
* wind... northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts of 50 mph.
Stronger winds tonight and Tuesday of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to
55 mph and isolated gusts to 65 mph. Winds will not be quite as
strong nor widespread for Tuesday night into Wednesday morning
with areas of northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 45 mph.
* Humidity... lowest daytime humidity around 5 percent today and
Tuesday with poorest overnight recovery near the coastal
foothills. Lowest daytime humidity Wednesday of 5 to 10 percent.
* Timing... the most extreme combination of heat... low humidity...
and wind through Tuesday. Then not quite as hot for Wednesday
with a slight recovery in humidity and with winds more localized
and not quite as strong.
* Outlook... weaker winds are expected for Thursday and Friday with
slow cooling spreading inland and with a gradual recovery of
* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly...
especially today and Tuesday. Outdoor burning is not
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... .or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.
- Alabama - Areal Flood Warning
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Arkansas - Lake Wind Advisory
- California - Excessive Heat Warning, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory, Heat Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Georgia - Wind Advisory
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Flash Flood Watch , High Wind Watch
- Illinois - Special Statement
- Indiana -
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Kansas - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning
- Massachusetts - Dense Fog Advisory
- Michigan - Lakeshore Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- New Mexico -
- New York - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Wind Advisory
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - Dense Fog Advisory
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Tennessee - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , High Wind Warning , Record Report
- Virginia -
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory, High Wind Watch , Dense Fog Advisory
- Wyoming - Air Quality Alert , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory, Gale Watch