Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Jackson County Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on March 27, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
25-27 in 1904... heavy snowfall totaled 7.0 inches in downtown
26-27 in 1886... heavy snowfall totaled 7.1 inches in downtown Denver.
In 1911... Post-frontal north winds were sustained to 48 mph on
the 26th and to 47 mph on the 27th.
In 1931... a cold front brought snow and very cold weather to
the city. Snowfall totaled 7.3 inches over downtown Denver
with most of the snow... 6.4 inches... occurring on the 26th...
when northwest winds were sustained to 38 mph with gusts to
44 mph. High temperature of 31 degrees on the 26th equaled
the low temperature of the previous day as the temperature
plunged to a low of 1 degree below zero. High temperature of
only 15 degrees on the 27th was a record low maximum for the
date. Low temperature of 2 degrees below zero on the 27th
was not a record.
In 1975... a major pre-Easter blizzard... the worst since the
vicious storm of 1949... battered northeastern Colorado and
left livestock losses in millions of dollars... but Metro
Denver escaped the main brunt of the storm and received
only 5.0 inches of snowfall. North winds gusted to 38 mph
at Stapleton International Airport where temperatures
plunged from a high of 50 degrees to 18 degrees by midnight
on the 26th.
In 1991... heavy snow fell over portions of the eastern
foothills with 9 inches recorded at Lake Eldora west of
Boulder. The snow spread across Metro Denver... but
snowfall totaled only 1.7 inches at Stapleton International
Airport where north to northeast winds gusting to 31 mph
on both days produced some blowing snow.
27 in 1873... a severe wind and sand storm damaged buildings in
the city. At 11:00 am brisk west winds blew clouds and
sand into the city... which continued for an hour when it
abated some. At 2:00 PM another terrific sand storm blew
a gale from the west. The storm lasted 30 minutes... but
winds remained brisk the rest of the day.
In 1884... a windstorm struck the city at mid-morning and
lasted until midnight. Sustained winds of 40 to 60 mph
unroofed some buildings and blew others down. A few
people were injured... but none fatally.
In 1896... southwest winds sustained to 60 mph with gusts as
high as 70 mph warmed the temperature to a high of 59
In 1905... north winds were sustained to 40 mph.
In 1939... freezing drizzle deposited glaze as thick as 1/4
inch from late morning through late afternoon. No damage
In 1956... strong and gusty winds raked Metro Denver all day
behind a Pacific cold front. Wind gusts to 58 mph at
Stapleton Airport briefly reduced the visibility to 1 mile
in blowing dust.
In 1987... snow and wind closed many highways across eastern
Colorado for the second time in less than a week. I-25 was
closed south of Denver and I-70 was closed east of Denver
for nearly 48 hours. Metro Denver only received around 4
inches of new snow... but snow and blowing snow caused air
traffic delays of up to 3 hours at Stapleton International
Airport where snowfall totaled 3.5 inches and north winds
at 15 to 25 mph gusted to 40 mph. Temperatures hovered in
the 30's for much of the day.
In 1997... strong winds developed behind a fast moving cold
front. While the highest winds were north and northeast
of Metro Denver... northwest winds gusting to 56 mph at
Denver International Airport produced widespread blowing
dust... which briefly reduced the visibility to 2 1/2 miles.
27-28 in 1951... heavy snowfall totaled 6.5 inches at Stapleton
Airport where north winds gusted to 38 mph on the 27th
and 41 mph on the 28th.
In 1972... heavy snowfall of 6.2 inches was measured at
Stapleton International Airport... where northeast winds
gusted to only 21 mph.
In 1980... a major blizzard struck the northeastern Colorado
plains... closing both I-70 and I-76 to the east of Denver for
a time. Some areas received 1 to 2 feet of snow. Drifts
were 4 to 8 feet high. The storm killed many Young
livestock. At Stapleton International Airport... snowfall
totaled 6.7 inches from the storm and north winds gusted
to 29 mph.
In 2002... high winds developed in the foothills west of Metro
Denver. Winds gusted to 81 mph near Fritz Peak... 72 mph at
Rollinsville... and 70 mph at Blackhawk. West winds gusted
to 51 mph on the 27th and to 45 mph on the 28th at Denver
International Airport where the temperature warmed to a
high of 69 degrees on the 28th.
27-29 in 1948... high winds raked Boulder. A wind gust to 75 mph was
recorded at Valmont. Sustained winds in excess of 35 mph
were estimated in Boulder. Minor damage was reported.
In 1961... heavy snowfall totaled 9.5 inches at Stapleton
Airport over the 3 day period. Most of the snow... 5.3
inches... fell on the 28th. Winds were generally light
and gusted to only 22 mph from the north.
- Alabama - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning , Special Statement
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Special Statement , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Freeze Watch
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New York - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Freeze Warning , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Freeze Watch
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Fire Weather Watch
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Warning , Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Hard Freeze Warning, Hard Freeze Watch , Special Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
- Virginia - Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch