Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Jefferson and West Douglas Counties Above 6000 Feet/Gilpin/Clear Creek/Northeast Park Counties Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on March 10, 2014
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
8-10 in 1989... unusually warm weather set four daily temperature
records in Denver. The high temperature of 74 degrees on
the 8th exceeded the record. Records were equaled on the
9th with a high of 77 degrees and the 10th with a high of
79 degrees. The low temperature of 42 degrees on the 10th
set a new record high minimum for the date.
9-10 in 1904... strong Chinook winds raked the city for 2 days. On
the 9th... west winds sustained to 53 mph with gusts to 62
mph warmed the temperature to a high of 55 degrees. On
the 10th... west winds were sustained to 48 mph with gusts
to 54 mph. The high temperature was 58 degrees.
In 2013... a storm system brought heavy snow to areas in and
near the Front Range mountains and foothills where storm
totals included: 13 inches at Berthoud Pass snotel... 12
inches at Arapahoe ridge; 11 inches... 5 miles southwest of
golden; 10.5 inches near kittridge; 10 inches at Lake
Eldora and Pine junction; 9.5 inches near Conifer... 9
inches... near Bailey and 9 miles east-northeast of
Nederland... Joe Wright and strontia Springs. Along the
urban corridor... some storm totals included: 8.5 inches at
Highlands Ranch and near morrison; 8 inches in arvada;
7 inches... 5 miles northeast of westminster; 6.5 inches at
centenniel... Lone Tree and wheat ridge; 6 inches in west
Denver... Hygiene... Lyons and Thornton... 5.5 inches in
broomfield; with 5 inches in Aurora and the former
Stapleton International Airport. Across the Palmer Divide
and northeast plains of Colorado... storm totals ranged
anywhere from 2 to 10 inches. The combination of snow and
strong wind produced blizzard conditions and forced the
closure of Interstate 70 east of Denver. Sustained winds
of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph produced near zero
visibilities at times and snowpacked roads. Snowdrifts
from 2 to 4 feet deep were reported. As a result... many of
the roadways became impassable. Officially... Denver
international recored 5.4 inches of snowfall on the 9th.
In addition... a peak wind gust to 38 mph was observed from
9-11 in 1927... rain changed to heavy snow behind a cold front and
totaled 7.7 inches over downtown Denver. North winds were
sustained to 37 mph with an extreme velocity to 38 mph on
In 1955... a strong windstorm raked the eastern foothills. A
wind gust to 95 mph was recorded at Rocky Flats with a gust
to 60 mph measured at Valmont. Damage in Boulder totaled
10 thousand dollars. Minor injuries also occurred. The
strong winds were associated with a vigorous cold front
that produced northwest winds at 40 mph with gusts as high
as 52 mph at Stapleton Airport where the visibility was
briefly reduced to 3/4 mile in blowing dust on the 10th.
In 1968... 5.5 inches of snow fell at Stapleton International
Airport where northeast winds gusted to 24 mph on the 10th.
9-19 in 1906... an extended cold and blustery period occurred with
light snow totaling 14.4 inches over 11 consecutive days.
The greatest amount of snow on a single day was 4.0 inches
on the 15th. Only a trace of snow fell on the 12th and 17th.
High temperatures were below freezing for the entire period.
The coldest were 14 degrees on the 16th and 18 degrees on the
17th. Both readings were record low maximums for the dates.
Low temperatures were mostly in the single digits. The
coldest were 2 degrees below zero on the 16th and 5 degrees
below zero on the 19th. Northeast winds were sustained to
22 mph on the 9th. North winds were sustained to 36 mph on
the 10th... 32 mph on the 13th... and 22 mph on the 15th.
10 in 1893... northwest winds were sustained to 48 mph with gusts
to 60 mph in the city.
In 1948... the high temperature warmed to only 6 degrees...
the all-time record low maximum for the month of March.
The same reading also occurred on March 6... 1920.
In 1970... 5.0 inches of snow fell at Stapleton International
Airport where north winds gusted to 21 mph.
10-11 in 1886... snowfall of 3.5 inches was measured in
downtown Denver. Apparent Post-frontal north winds
were sustained to 43 mph on the 11th.
In 1977... a major blizzard struck Metro Denver. Snowfall
totaled 8.0 inches at Stapleton International Airport
where north winds at speeds of 30 to 40 mph with gusts to
60 mph frequently reduced visibilities in blowing snow to
1/4 mile or less. Most of the snow... 7.7 inches... fell on
the 10th. The snow ended by daybreak on the 11th... but
strong north winds persisted through the day.
In 1988... a late winter storm produced heavy snow and wind...
mainly north of Denver. Wind gusts reached 62 mph at
Keenesburg and produced a lot of blowing snow... closing
schools in southwest Weld County. The storm closed I-70
east of Denver. Only 1.1 inch of snow fell at Stapleton
International Airport... but north winds gusted to 39 mph.
10-12 in 1924... snowfall was heavy and totaled 9.9 inches over
downtown Denver. North winds were sustained to 18 mph
on the 11th.
In 2001... heavy snow fell over northeast Colorado and Metro
Denver when a combination of upslope winds and convective
snow bands formed over the area. Storm totals included:
11 inches at the Eldora ski resort; 10 inches at genesee;
8 inches at Elizabeth... atop Lookout Mountain... near Sedalia...
and at strasburg; 7 inches near Castle Rock and evergreen;
and 6 inches in Aurora... atop Crow Hill... and in Parker.
Elsewhere across Metro Denver... snowfall ranged from 2
to 5 inches with 3.9 inches at the site of the former
Stapleton International Airport. North winds gusted to
28 mph at Denver International Airport on the 10th.
- Alaska - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- California - Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Frost Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Maine - Winter Storm Watch
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Winter Storm Watch
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Avalanche Warning
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Winter Storm Watch , Special Weather Statement
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Advisory
- New York - Winter Storm Watch
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning
- Texas - High Wind Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Utah - Winter Weather Advisory
- Vermont - Winter Storm Watch
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Record Report