Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Northeast Weld County
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 4:55 AM MDT on March 28, 2015
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on March 28, 2015
... Red flag warning in effect from noon today to 6 PM MDT this
evening for wind and low relative humidity for zones 238 and 242...
The National Weather Service in Denver has issued a red flag
warning for wind and low relative humidity... which is in effect
from noon today to 6 PM MDT this evening.
* Affected area... fire weather zones 238 and 242... eastern Larimer
and northern Weld counties.
* Timing... red flag conditions will develop by noon and continue
until temperature start to cool around 6 PM.
* Winds... west 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
* Relative humidity... as low as 14 percent.
* Impacts... fires will ignite easily and spread rapidly under
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on March 28, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
27-28 in 1951... heavy snowfall totaled 6.5 inches at Stapleton
Airport where north winds gusted to 38 mph on the 27th
and 41 mph on the 28th.
In 1972... heavy snowfall of 6.2 inches was measured at
Stapleton International Airport... where northeast winds
gusted to only 21 mph.
In 1980... a major blizzard struck the northeastern Colorado
plains... closing both I-70 and I-76 to the east of Denver for
a time. Some areas received 1 to 2 feet of snow. Drifts
were 4 to 8 feet high. The storm killed many Young
livestock. At Stapleton International Airport... snowfall
totaled 6.7 inches from the storm and north winds gusted
to 29 mph.
In 2002... high winds developed in the foothills west of Metro
Denver. Winds gusted to 81 mph near Fritz Peak... 72 mph at
Rollinsville... and 70 mph at Blackhawk. West winds gusted
to 51 mph on the 27th and to 45 mph on the 28th at Denver
International Airport where the temperature warmed to a
high of 69 degrees on the 28th.
27-29 in 1948... high winds raked Boulder. A wind gust to 75 mph was
recorded at Valmont. Sustained winds in excess of 35 mph
were estimated in Boulder. Minor damage was reported.
In 1961... heavy snowfall totaled 9.5 inches at Stapleton
Airport over the 3 day period. Most of the snow... 5.3
inches... fell on the 28th. Winds were generally light
and gusted to only 22 mph from the north.
28 in 1886... the lowest recorded temperature in March... 11 degrees
below zero... occurred.
In 1911... a thunderstorm produced snowfall of 0.4 inch... which
was the only measurable snowfall of the month... making the
month the second least snowiest March on record.
In 1962... a vigorous cold front produced strong winds across
eastern Colorado. North winds gusted to 46 mph at
Stapleton Airport where visibility was briefly reduced
to 3/4 mile in blowing dust. A construction worker was
injured in Aurora when he was struck by a wind blown
piece of plywood.
28-29 in 1891... rain changed to snow and totaled 9.7 inches in the
city. Northeast winds were sustained to 12 mph with gusts
to 28 mph on the 28th.
In 1910... a strong cold front brought much wind... rain... and
and snow to the city. Rain on the 28th changed to snow
early on the 29th. Snowfall totaled only 2.8 inches... but
north winds were sustained to 50 mph on the 29th.
Precipitation from the storm totaled 0.96 inch.
In 1994... moist upslope winds combined with an upper level
system to dump 5 to 7 inches of snow along the eastern
foothills and across Metro Denver. Snowfall totaled
6.3 inches at Stapleton International Airport where
northeast winds gusted to 39 mph. Thirteen inches of
new snow were measured at the Eldora ski area west of
28-30 in 1949... a major winter storm dumped 11.3 inches of snow over
downtown Denver. Snowfall totaled 10.4 inches at Stapleton
Airport. North to northeast winds were sustained to 17 mph.
In 1985... a slow moving snow storm moved across the state.
Denver received only 4.0 inches of snowfall with amounts in
the foothills totaling 1 to 2 feet. Still... this was enough
snow in Denver to cause flight delays of up to 6 hours at
Stapleton International Airport on the night of the 29th.
East winds gusted to 28 mph on the 28th.
- Alabama - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch
- California - Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Georgia - Freeze Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Iowa - Fire Weather Watch
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Fire Weather Watch
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , High Wind Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- Nevada - Record Report
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Freeze Warning , Hard Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning , Hard Freeze Warning , Hard Freeze Warning
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Hard Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report