Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Morgan County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on January 25, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
22-26 in 1948... the longest period of snowfall on record (92 hours
and 3 minutes) occurred in downtown Denver where a total of
13.6 inches of snow fell. At Stapleton Airport... 19.0 inches
of snow fell... making it the heaviest snow in January and the
5th heaviest snow of record at that time. North winds were
sustained to a velocity of 23 mph on the 25th... but generally
the winds were light throughout the storm. The snow
disrupted traffic... but street clearing was begun soon after
it became apparent that the snow would be heavy. Over the
5 days... temperatures ranged from a high of 48 degrees on
the 22nd to a low of 1 degree on the 26th. Most readings
were in the teens and 20's during the storm.
24-25 in 1916... a trace of light rain... rare in Denver for January...
occurred on both days.
In 1946... high winds occurred in Boulder and along the
foothills to the north. A wind gust to 72 mph was recorded
In 1947... strong winds were measured in Boulder. Hourly wind
gusts averaged 72 mph at Valmont east of Boulder.
In 1950... heavy snowfall totaled 7.1 inches at Stapleton
Airport and 6.8 inches in downtown Denver.
24-26 in 1970... a wind gust to 122 mph was recorded at the National
center for atmospheric research in Boulder on the 24th.
Winds also gusted to 109 mph at ncar on the 26th. Most
winds were estimated between 60 and 70 mph in Boulder.
Damage... in most cases... was from broken windows and tree
limbs and downed power lines. A roof was blown off a
house in Eldorado Springs south of Boulder. A building
under construction was damaged in Boulder. Reported
damage totaled 25 hundred dollars in Boulder. Northwest
winds gusted to 47 mph at Stapleton International Airport
on the 24th. In Denver... the Chinook winds warmed the
temperature to a record high of 68 degrees on the 24th.
25 in 1872... the greatest temperature change in one day... 66
degrees... from a low of 20 degrees below zero... a record
low for the date... to a high of 46 degrees... occurred.
In 1888... west winds sustained to 42 mph warmed the
temperature to a high of 58 degrees.
In 1890... northwest Chinook winds gusting as high as 48 mph
resulted in two temperature records. High temperature
of 72 degrees was a record maximum for the date. Low
temperature of only 48 degrees was a record high minimum
for the date.
In 1914... Chinook winds from the northwest sustained to 46
mph with gusts as high as 60 mph warmed the temperature
to a high of 52 degrees. The low temperature was only
In 1923... snowfall of 1.3 inches was the only measurable
snow of the month.
In 1931... snowfall of 0.1 inch was the only measurable
snow of the month. The melted snow totaled only
0.02 inch of precipitation... which was the only
measurable amount of the month. This resulted in the
4th driest January on record.
In 1964... high winds occurred in Boulder... Golden... and
Broomfield where a wind gust to 80 mph was recorded at
Jefferson County Airport. Some power lines were downed.
Damage to buildings and vehicles was also reported.
West-northwest winds gusted to 46 mph at Stapleton
In 1971... the highest recorded wind gust in the state of
Colorado... 147 mph... occurred at the National center for
atmospheric research on The Mesa in southwest Boulder.
Wind gusts to 91 mph were measured at the National Bureau
of standards and to 87 mph in downtown Boulder. A wind
gust to 75 mph was recorded at Jefferson County Airport in
Broomfield. The strong winds caused widespread minor
damage in Boulder. Northwest winds gusting to 32 mph at
Stapleton International Airport warmed the temperature
to a high of 55 degrees.
In 1980... a blizzard struck Denver right at the evening rush
hours... causing massive traffic snarls and forcing the
closure of I-25 north of Denver and I-70 east of the city
as well as many other roads. Hundreds of travelers were
stranded. Multi-car accidents involving as many as 50 cars
were common. Air traffic at Stapleton International Airport
was stalled for 3 hours. Winds gusted to 50 or 60 mph with
visibility reduced to zero at times. The high winds
knocked out electrical power in Broomfield. During the
height of the storm... temperatures plunged from the freezing
mark at mid-afternoon to only 5 degrees before midnight.
Initial snowfall from the storm was only 3 to 5 inches
across Metro Denver with 4.1 inches measured at Stapleton
International Airport where north wind gusts to 58 mph were
In 1988... high winds pummeled the eastern foothills with a
peak gust to 96 mph recorded near Rollinsville. A gust to
109 mph was recorded at Echo Lake. West winds gusted to
48 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1996... heavy snow fell along the Front Range foothills.
Snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches were measured from
I-25 west into the foothills with lighter accumulations
reported elsewhere. Snowfall totaled only 0.9 inch at
the site of the former Stapleton International Airport.
In 2004... locally heavy snow fell across Metro Denver. The
heaviest snow was south of Denver and in the foothills.
Snowfall totals included: 9 inches near Indian HIlls...
8.5 inches near Franktown and 9 miles southwest of
Sedalia... 8 inches 7 miles southwest of Aurora... and 6
inches in Highlands Ranch. Snowfall was only 2.8 inches
at the site of the former Stapleton International Airport.
North winds gusted to 35 mph at Denver International
in 2008... strong westerly winds blew out three windows at a
chipolte restaurant in Louisville. Two people were taken
to the hospital for minor cuts. At Denver International
Airport... northeast winds gusted to 35 mph.
25-26 in 1910... gale force westerly winds of great velocity struck
Boulder. Some damage was reported. West winds were
sustained to 45 mph in Denver on the 25th.
25-27 in 1897... a cold spell resulted in three temperature records.
Low temperature of 14 degrees below zero on the 27th was
a record minimum for the date. High temperatures of only
3 degrees on the 25th and 2 degrees on the 26th were record
low maximums for the dates. Very light snow or flurries
fell on the 25th and 26th at times.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch, Wind Chill Advisory , Wind Chill Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Lake Wind Advisory
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Winter Storm Watch , Blizzard Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Winter Storm Watch
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning
- Idaho - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Indiana - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory
- Maine - Winter Storm Watch , Wind Chill Advisory, Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Massachusetts - Coastal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Blizzard Watch
- Michigan - Special Statement
- Montana - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement
- New Jersey - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Winter Storm Watch , Blizzard Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Ohio - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory, Air Stagnation Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch, Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch
- Rhode Island - Blizzard Watch
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory
- Vermont - Winter Storm Watch
- Virginia - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch
- Wyoming - Record Report