Current Watches and Warnings
Delaware, Delaware Beaches
Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 11:04 PM EDT on July 28, 2016
Expires 12:00 PM EDT on July 29, 2016
944 PM EDT Thu Jul 28 2016
The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a
* small stream Flood Advisory for...
southern Kent County in central Delaware...
Sussex County in southern Delaware...
Talbot County in eastern Maryland...
south central Queen Anne's County in northeastern Maryland...
Caroline County in eastern Maryland...
* until 300 am EDT
* at 1102 PM EDT... Doppler radar indicated heavy rain across eastern
Maryland and Delaware. 1 to locally 2 inches of rain is possible
in portions of the advised area. This rainfall could cause
flooding of roadways and small streams in the advisory area.
Most flood deaths occur in automobiles. Never drive your vehicle into
areas where the water covers the roadway. Flood waters are usually
deeper than they appear. Just one foot of flowing water is powerful
enough to sweep vehicles off the Road. When encountering flooded
roads make the smart choice... turn around... don't drown.
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the
roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross
safely. Move to higher ground.
Lat... Lon 3864 7571 3869 7577 3870 7590 3860 7599
3858 7605 3868 7617 3868 7621 3876 7622
3871 7628 3872 7629 3882 7625 3879 7619
3898 7618 3910 7537 3905 7537 3892 7528
3881 7514 3881 7506 3846 7504 3846 7569
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Friday morning...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* portions of Delaware... northeast Maryland... New Jersey and
Pennsylvania... including the following areas... in Delaware...
Delaware beaches... inland Sussex... Kent and New Castle. In
northeast Maryland... Caroline... Cecil... Kent MD... Queen Annes
and Talbot. In New Jersey... Atlantic... Atlantic coastal Cape
May... Camden... Cape May... coastal Atlantic... coastal ocean...
Cumberland... eastern Monmouth... Gloucester... Hunterdon...
Mercer... Middlesex... Morris... northwestern Burlington...
ocean... Salem... Somerset... southeastern Burlington... Sussex...
Warren and western Monmouth. In Pennsylvania... Berks...
Carbon... Delaware... eastern Chester... eastern Montgomery...
Lehigh... lower Bucks... Monroe... Northampton... Philadelphia...
upper Bucks... western Chester and western Montgomery.
* Through Friday morning
* bands of showers will continue moving east and northeast across
the area through Friday morning. Thunderstorms will develop over
Maryland's Eastern Shore by midnight and spread northeast
through portions of the watch area overnight. Some of the
storms will contain torrential rainfall and result in a
localized flash flood threat.
* The axis of heaviest rain still remains uncertain. However...
the potential for localized rainfall amounts of 2 or more inches
in one hour will bring the risk for flash flooding particularly
in urban areas. Isolated rainfall amounts of 5 inches or more
are possible during this event where storms move repeatedly over
the same area. This would favor the Delmarva into southern New
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should flash flood warnings be issued.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 10:53 PM EDT on July 28, 2016
The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 26
hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation
is extended to Highway departments... cooperative observers... Skywarn
spotters and media for these reports. This summary is also available
on our home Page at weather.Gov/phi
********************storm total rainfall********************
Location storm total time/date comments
... Kent County...
Dover Air Force base 2.20 815 PM 7/28 ASOS
... Sussex County...
Sussex County airpor 2.20 815 PM 7/28 ASOS
... Cecil County...
Fair Hill Meadows 2.93 334 PM 7/28 trained spotter
... Kent County...
Galena 3.70 443 PM 7/28 trained spotter
... Cumberland County...
Vineland 2.75 820 PM 7/28 trained spotter
... Gloucester County...
Newfield 2.78 550 PM 7/28 trained spotter
:7/28/2016, 815 PM, de, Kent, Dover Air Force base, , , 39.12900, -75.46500, rain, 2.20, inch, ASOS,
:7/28/2016, 815 PM, de, Sussex, Sussex County Airport, , , 38.68700, -75.35900, rain, 2.20, inch, ASOS,
:7/28/2016, 334 PM, MD, Cecil, Fair Hill Meadows, , , 39.68733, -75.89133, rain, 2.93, inch, trained spotter,
:7/28/2016, 443 PM, MD, Kent, Galena, , , 39.34330, -75.87920, rain, 3.70, inch, trained spotter,
:7/28/2016, 820 PM, NJ, Cumberland, Vineland, , , 39.46480, -74.99740, rain, 2.75, inch, trained spotter,
:7/28/2016, 550 PM, NJ, Gloucester, Newfield, , , 39.54940, -75.01870, rain, 2.78, inch, trained spotter,
- Alabama - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- California - Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Colorado - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flash Flood Watch
- Delaware - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement , Record Report
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Maryland - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Flash Flood Watch
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Missouri - Record Report
- Montana - Record Report
- Nevada - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- New Jersey - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- New York - Flash Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- Pennsylvania - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Flash Flood Watch
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Record Report
- Utah - Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report