Current Watches and Warnings
Hawaii, Molokai Leeward
Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 5:41 AM HST on July 24, 2016
Expires 12:00 PM EDT on July 25, 2016
332 am HST sun Jul 24 2016
The National Weather Service in Honolulu has extended the
* Flood Advisory for...
the island of Maui in Maui County
* until 915 am HST
* at 538 am HST... radar indicated a large area of moderate to
locally heavy rain over and south of the island of Maui. This area
of rain is moving to the north within the circulation around
Tropical Storm Darby. Rainfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour
will be likely across the island. Streams are already beginning to
rise as well... and elevated water levels will be likely.
* Locations in the advisory include but are not limited to...
Kahului... Kihei... Lahaina... Kaanapali... Waikapu... Maalaea...
Honokohau and Pauwela.
Stay away from streams... drainage ditches and low lying areas prone
Rainfall and runoff will also cause hazardous driving conditions due
to ponding... reduced visibility and poor braking action.
Do not cross fast flowing or rising water in your vehicle... or on
foot. Turn around... don't drown.
This advisory may need to be extended beyond 915 am HST if heavy rain
This advisory replaces the previously issued advisory that was in
effect for the island of Maui in Maui County.
A Flash Flood Watch is also in effect for Maui County through 6
PM this afternoon. Flash flood warnings may be required during the
Lat... Lon 2064 15607 2063 15622 2059 15630 2059 15642
2064 15646 2079 15647 2081 15663 2093 15670
2101 15667 2104 15660 2090 15648 2095 15633
2094 15625 2082 15611 2080 15601 2073 15599
... Flash Flood Watch now in effect through late tonight...
The Flash Flood Watch is now in effect for
* Kahoolawe... Lanai... Maui and Molokai.
* Through late tonight
* rain bands around Tropical Storm Darby will bring frequent
showers and isolated thunderstorms... with periods of heavy
rainfall and flash flooding possible today and tonight. Storm
total rainfall amounts of 5 to 10 inches... with isolated amounts
up to 15 inches in higher terrain... are possible.
* In addition to flood prone areas... heavy rain events of this
size may cause flooding in areas outside designated flood
zones. Low spots in roads can become dangerous and impassable
due to severe runoff. High amounts of debris in streams and
gulches may clog bridges and culverts resulting in dangerous
flooding which could occur outside the normal channels... and
could also lead to significant property damage.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is very dangerous.
You should monitor later forecasts and get prepared for flash
flooding this weekend. Never drive into areas where water covers
the Road. Turn around... Don/T drown.
Tropical Storm Warning
Statement as of 5:26 AM HST on July 24, 2016
Expires 6:45 PM EDT on July 24, 2016
... Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect...
... Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Everyone should now be inside. Remain alert and away from windows
and external doors.
Tropical storms can bring very heavy rain leading to flash
flooding. People near streams... rivers... and low- lying flood
prone areas are urged to be especially alert to flash flooding.
... Inland flooding...
passing rainbands will bring periods of showers. There is a
chance for intense downpours or thunderstorms to develop this
morning near Maui County... then spreading to Oahu and Kauai later
today. If heavier storms develop... they could cause significant
flash flooding. Additional rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches with
local amounts up to 15 inches are expected with Tropical Storm
Darby. For Maui County islands... storm totals up to 5 to 10 inches
with isolated amounts of 15 inches are expected. On Oahu... 3 to 5
inches with isolated totals of 10 inches are expected. For Kauai
County islands... 3 to 5 inches with isolated totals of 8 inches
are expected. See the Flash Flood Watch for more details.
localized damaging winds of 30 to 40 mph can be expected with
Darby... along with gusts of 50 to 60 mph or greater. These winds
are most likely over mountainous terrain... through passes...
and to the west or southwest of the mountains where winds will
be blowing downslope.
Loose items... such as garbage cans and outdoor furniture... will
be blown around. Newly planted or Young trees and shrubs may be
uprooted if not secured properly. Isolated power outages will be
... Storm surge and storm tide...
surf along east facing shores of Maui will be 8 to 12 feet. Surf
along east facing shores of Kauai... Oahu... and Molokai will be 6
to 10 feet. See the high surf advisory for more details.
... Probability of tropical storm/hurricane conditions...
tropical storm conditions had been occurring over Maui
County... however in the last 6 hours there have not been reports
on winds greater then 38 miles per hour. The chance for tropical
storm conditions is 52 percent at Honolulu... 51 percent at joint
based Pearl Harbor hickam... 56 percent at Lihue and 48 percent at
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
- Illinois - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Louisiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- New Mexico - Record Report
- New York - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Ohio - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Heat Advisory
- West Virginia - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement