Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:05 PM CDT on June 27, 2016
Expires 5:00 AM EDT on June 29, 2016
... Beach hazards statement in effect from 1 am CDT Tuesday
through late Tuesday night...
The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a beach
hazards statement... which is in effect from 1 am CDT Tuesday
through late Tuesday night.
* Location... northeast Illinois and Northwest Indiana beaches.
* Forecast wave heights... 4 to 7 ft.
* Strong rip currents and structural currents expected.
Life threatening waves and currents are expected at the beaches.
People visiting the beaches should stay out of the water.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore, which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you into deeper water along the pier structure.
Exposed beaches are more likely to experience the most
significant wave and current impacts. Impacts at beaches with
protective breakwalls or jetties will be subject to the
orientation of structures as well as wind and wave direction.
For information on swim advisories or bans at Chicago beaches
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement, Air Quality Alert
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Nebraska - Special Statement
- Nevada - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Utah - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Virginia - Areal Flood Warning
- West Virginia - Areal Flood Warning
- Wyoming - Record Report