Current Watches and Warnings
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 3:43 PM EDT on August 28, 2014
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 29, 2014
... High surf advisory now in effect until 9 PM EDT Friday...
* location... South Coast of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
including Nantucket... Marthas Vineyard and Block Island.
* Surf height... 6 to 12 feet late this afternoon dropping down to
3 to 6 feet tomorrow.
* Timing... through 9 PM Friday.
* Impacts... high risk of dangerous surf and rip currents. Also
viewers of large surf should be in safe areas well away from
possible splash over. Large waves can sweep a person into the
water from what may seem to be a safe viewing area. Falling
into the turbulent and sometimes Rocky Waters can result in
injury that reduces the chance of survival.
A rip current... sometimes mistakenly called an undertow... is a
strong but narrow current of water flowing from the beach to the
surf zone. It can rapidly carry a swimmer into deeper water and
exhaust an individual trying to swim against it.
If you are a poor swimmer and are caught in a rip current... swim
parallel to the beach until out of its pull. Another means of
escape for those who are good swimmers is to ride the current out
beyond the surf zone where the rip current dissipates... then swim
toward shore outside the effect of the narrow rip current.
Do not attempt to swim back to shore directly against the
current... it can exhaust and drown even the strongest swimmer.
Heed the advice of the beach patrol and swim only at guarded
beaches. Watch your children. Be especially cautious near piers
and jetties where rip currents can be enhanced.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Indiana - Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Advisory
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Montana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - High Surf Advisory
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Tornado Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement