Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 9:36 PM EDT on June 27, 2016
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on June 29, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from 6 am EDT
Tuesday through late Tuesday night...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee
* beaches with particularly dangerous conditions tomorrow
North Beach in South Haven...
Holland State Park...
Muskegon State Park...
Mears State Park in Pentwater...
Stearns Park in Ludington...
* overview/potential impacts... north winds will increase to 15
to 25 knots late tonight... producing 3 to 6 foot waves and
dangerous currents. The winds and waves will subside from
north to south Tuesday evening.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Blowing Dust Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Tornado Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement, Air Quality Alert , Air Quality Alert
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning
- Nevada - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Tennessee - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Record Report
- Utah - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Virginia - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Areal Flood Warning
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Tornado Watch , Record Report