Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 10:24 AM EDT on August 02, 2015
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on August 03, 2015
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Monday
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions late tonight
and Sunday include... South Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven
State Park... Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... southwest winds will increase to 25
to 30 mph with higher gusts possible. Waves will build to 3 to 6
feet with locally higher waves likely.
A squall line is expected to move through the area this
evening. This will have the potential to bring very strong
winds and extremely dangerous conditions for a period this
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Flash Flood Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory