Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:15 AM EDT on August 30, 2014
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on August 30, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
conditions expected for today.
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include...
South Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven State Park... Pere
Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south winds will become southwest
and remain up between 15 and 25 mph through today. A high risk
of swim hazards will remain today as waves hold between 3 to 5
feet. Conditions will improve tonight.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alaska - Frost Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Public Information Statement
- California - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Lake Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Flood Watch
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch
- Wisconsin - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement