Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:49 PM EDT on August 17, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 18, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Friday
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from Holland to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include
Grand Haven State Park and Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south facing south piers will be
particularly dangerous today with south winds of 15 to 25 mph
and waves of 3 to 5 feet. As winds shift to the west tonight
into Friday, rip currents become a higher threat. By this time
period, waves of 5 to 8 feet are expected.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Kentucky - Areal Flood Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Nevada -
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- New York -
- North Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning
- Oregon - Air Quality Alert
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Dakota - Special Statement
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia -
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- West Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory