Current Watches and Warnings
Minnesota, West Otter Tail
Statement as of 2:43 AM EDT on July 22, 2014
record event report
National Weather Service eastern North Dakota/Grand Forks
143 am CDT July 22 2014
... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Grand Forks University
(national weather service)...
a record rainfall of 2.71 inches was set at Grand Forks University
(national weather service) yesterday. This breaks the old record of
2.03 set in 1966.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:37 PM CDT on July 22, 2014
... NWS damage survey for 07/21/14 tornado event in Polk and
Red Lake County MN...
A large scale Bow-echo type squall line moved across northeast
North Dakota and northwest Minnesota during the evening of 21
July 2014. A tornado formed on the apex of this squall line and
moved from southwest Polk County Minnesota into southwest Red
Lake County. The tornado itself was likely wrapped in heavy
rain and more widespread damaging downburst winds. The tornado
track itself was distinguishable by the presence of more
extreme damage and an apparent lofting and throwing of debris.
In addition... several rural residents noted the apparent roar
of the storm along with its brief and catastrophic impacts.
estimated peak wind: 120 mph
path length /statute/: 27 miles
path width /maximum/: 800 yards
Start date: July 21 2014
start time: around 850 PM CDT
start location: approx. 4 miles WNW of Eldred
start lat/lon: 47.7000n/-96.8600w (est.)
End date: July 21 2014
end time: by 925 PM CDT
end location: approx. 4 miles S Red Lake Falls
end_lat/lon: 47.8300n/-96.2800w (est.)
The team examined an area starting in Roome township... near
Eldred... and continuing east northeast through Crookston and
Gentilly... into Northern Lake pleasant township in southwest
Red Lake County.
In general... damage included numerous snapped or uprooted trees
as well as significant roof damage to residential and farm
structures along the path.
At the Point of initial touchdown the tornado caused significant
damage to a large... modern equipment shed removing sections of
the roof and imploding one of the main doors. Several miles
east-northeast a 1.5 mile string of dual pole/cross-beam high
tension power lines were toppled... consistent with low end EF2
tornadic winds. Damage to nearby farmsteads include numerous
uprooted and partially denuded trees.
Just south of Crookston a line of 17 /empty/ tanker style rail
cars were rolled on their side while a couple very large steel
grain bins were blown out leaving piles of grain on the ground.
Damage was widespread across the Crookston area... with the most
extreme damages apparent across the southern portions of the city.
To the east of Crookston significant damage to several shelter
belts was noted along and just north of Polk County 11 and west
of the Red Lake river. Several farm storage buildings experienced
significant roof damage along the same path.
Damage was observed across the community of Gentilly with damage
to several large shelter belts up to one half mile northwest of
Gentilly. This damage path continued into the northern portions
of the Lake Pleasant township of Red Lake County.
Ef scale: the Enhanced Fujita scale classifies
tornadoes into the following categories.
EF0... weak... ... 65 to 85 mph
EF1... weak... ... 86 to 110 mph
EF2... strong... .111 to 135 mph
EF3... strong... .136 to 165 mph
EF4... violent... 166 to 200 mph
EF5... violent... >200 mph*
the information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event and publication in
NWS storm data.
- Alabama - Areal Flood Advisory
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Air Quality Alert
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Heat Advisory
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Michigan - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Beach Hazard Statement, Air Quality Alert , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- New Mexico - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- New York - Air Quality Alert
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oregon - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flash Flood Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report