Current Watches and Warnings
Montana, Southern Big Horn
Winter Weather Advisory
Statement as of 3:27 PM MDT on March 09, 2014
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on March 11, 2014
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 3 PM Monday to noon MDT
The National Weather Service in Billings has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for snow... which is in effect from 3 PM Monday
to noon MDT Tuesday.
* Timing... rain will develop during the day Monday and will
transition to snow by late Monday afternoon or Monday evening.
Snow will continue overnight before tapering off Tuesday
* Snow accumulations... 3 to 6 inches of snow is expected. Snow
amounts will be elevation dependent... with lower elevations
along river valleys seeing lesser amounts... and higher terrain
along the foothills of the Pryor and Big Horn Mountains seeing
* Impacts... heavy snowfall may make travel hazardous and may pose
a threat to Young livestock.
* Flooding impacts... liquid equivalent precipitation amounts will
be between a half inch and an inch. With above freezing
temperatures expected again on Tuesday... melt off will begin
quickly and may cause additional flooding in locations which
have seen flooding this past week.
A Winter Weather Advisory can be issued for a variety of winter
weather conditions such as light snow... blowing snow... sleet...
freezing rain... and extreme wind chills.
Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 12:50 PM MDT on March 09, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on March 11, 2014
The National Weather Service in Billings has extended the
* Flood Advisory for...
melting snow in...
Big Horn County in south central Montana...
Carbon County in Montana...
* until 400 PM MDT Tuesday
* small stream and low land flooding continues across portions of
the area. The elevated water levels are a result of rapid lower
elevation snow melt.
* In Carbon County... areas of low land flooding continue and some
roads remain closed due to high water. There remains a significant
snow cover in western Carbon County... along and west of Highway
212... and water levels on small streams in this area will increase
today due to warmer temperatures.
* In Big Horn County... ice remains on the little Bighorn river from
near Lodge Grass to Hardin. With warmer temperatures today... ice
on the little Bighorn river may break up... causing fluctuating
water levels and areas of low land flooding along its banks. In
addition... County officials reported that many ditches and
culverts continue to run full... and there is water flowing over
some County roads.
* A storm system is expected to bring between a half inch and inch
of precipitation to the region Monday into early Tuesday... in the
form of rain and heavy wet snow. This additional moisture may
cause additional rises on rivers and streams... and will extend the
potential for low land flooding into Tuesday.
* Residents along rivers and streams as well as in low lying areas
should be on the look out for increased water levels and take
precautions if necessary.
Most flood deaths occur in automobiles. Never drive your vehicle into
areas where the water covers the roadway. Flood waters are usually
deeper than they appear. Just one foot of flowing water is powerful
enough to sweep vehicles off the Road. When encountering flooded
roads make the smart choice... turn around... dont drown.
To report flooding... have the nearest law enforcement agency relay
your report to the National Weather Service forecast office.
Lat... Lon 4500 10918 4532 10960 4562 10897 4564 10879
4547 10869 4546 10832 4552 10808 4589 10804
4590 10788 4599 10768 4605 10767 4605 10743
4596 10742 4596 10718 4587 10694 4568 10691
4568 10673 4518 10677 4518 10627 4500 10627
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Avalanche Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Special Weather Statement
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Oregon - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- South Dakota - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning
- Texas - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report