Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Hyde
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:20 PM EDT on September 22, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 23, 2014
... Beach hazards statement now in effect through Tuesday
* hazards... strong rip currents.
* Location... north of Cape Lookout.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for strong rip
currents to develop are a couple hours either side of low
tide... which will occur around 1 PM this afternoon.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach
access points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new rip current hazard...
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Colorado - Areal Flood Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Georgia - Areal Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Frost Advisory
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Statement
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Nevada - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Winter Weather Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Frost Advisory
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Frost Advisory
- Washington - Special Statement
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory
- Wisconsin - Special Statement