Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Western Dutchess
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 8:00 AM EDT on April 28, 2015
800 am EDT Tue April 28 2015
... Severe weather awareness week continues...
April 26 to may 2 is severe weather awareness week in New York...
Vermont... Connecticut... and Massachusetts. All residents are
urged to be weather ready by protecting themselves from The
Hazards of flooding... tornadoes... and severe thunderstorms.
Today we review severe thunderstorms.
Severe thunderstorms are defined as thunderstorms with wind
speeds of 58 mph or greater and or hail of one inch in diameter
or larger. Severe thunderstorms most frequently occur during the
warm months... but happen in all seasons and at all times of the day.
Thunderstorms require moisture... lift and unstable air to develop.
Moisture is necessary for the clouds and rain. Lift is usually
supplied by warm or cold fronts... sea or lake breezes... mountains...
or the suns heat. Lift supplied to moisture in an unstable
environment results in the development of thunderstorms.
Thunderstorms progress through three stages... developing...
mature... and dissipating. It is in the mature stage that thunderstorms
are usually most dangerous... capable of producing severe weather.
Although the National Weather Service issues warnings for only
those thunderstorms expected to meet warning criteria... all
thunderstorms are dangerous. By definition... thunderstorms contain
lightning. If you can hear thunder... you can be struck by lightning.
Once you hear thunder... seek shelter immediately in a safe structure.
Most lightning fatalities occur when people are caught outdoors. If
the thunder roars... go indoors.
The National Weather Service issues severe thunderstorm watches and
warnings to alert the public to a severe thunderstorm threat. A
Severe Thunderstorm Watch means that severe thunderstorms are
possible. Continue with your daily routine... but be ready to
take quick action should a Severe Thunderstorm Warning be issued.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning means that severe thunderstorms are
imminent or occurring. Seek shelter immediately.
Severe thunderstorms can kill and injure. Severe thunderstorm
warnings should be taken seriously. You should prepare for
severe thunderstorms. Develop a severe weather safety plan.
Identify safe shelters where you can go should a severe
thunderstorm threaten. Know the basic weather safety terms.
Keep tuned to your favorite media outlet for the latest National
Weather Service statements concerning severe thunderstorms.
NOAA Weather Radio offers one way to receive immediate relay
of severe weather warnings. Many local television and radio stations
also broadcast weather alerts. Computers and wireless devices can
also receive warnings. The Red Cross... many state emergency management
agencies and private vendors have wireless applications that will alert
you of severe weather by relaying National Weather Service warnings.
For more information on severe weather awareness week... go to our
web site www.Weather.Gov. Then click on eastern New York or
western New England. Finally... select our severe weather awareness
Tomorrow we take a look at weather safety and preparedness.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Special Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Maine - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- New York - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement