Current Watches and Warnings
Rhode Island, Newport
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 10:23 AM EDT on August 28, 2014
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2014
... High surf advisory remains in effect until 8 am EDT Friday...
* location... South Coast of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
including Nantucket... Marthas Vineyard and Block Island.
* Surf height... 6 to 12 feet.
* Timing... through 8 am Friday.
* Impacts... high risk of dangerous surf and rip currents. Also
viewers of large surf should be in safe areas well away from
possible splash over. Large waves can sweep a person into the
water from what may seem to be a safe viewing area. Falling
into the turbulent and sometimes Rocky Waters can result in
injury that reduces the chance of survival.
A rip current... sometimes mistakenly called an undertow... is a
strong but narrow current of water flowing from the beach to the
surf zone. It can rapidly carry a swimmer into deeper water and
exhaust an individual trying to swim against it.
If you are a poor swimmer and are caught in a rip current... swim
parallel to the beach until out of its pull. Another means of
escape for those who are good swimmers is to ride the current out
beyond the surf zone where the rip current dissipates... then swim
toward shore outside the effect of the narrow rip current.
Do not attempt to swim back to shore directly against the
current... it can exhaust and drown even the strongest swimmer.
Heed the advice of the beach patrol and swim only at guarded
beaches. Watch your children. Be especially cautious near piers
and jetties where rip currents can be enhanced.
For the latest updates... please visit our webpage at
You can follow US on facebook at
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Alaska - Dense Fog Advisory
- Arizona - Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Air Quality Alert
- Indiana - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Maryland - Beach Hazard Statement
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - High Surf Advisory
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report