Current Watches and Warnings
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 5:49 AM CDT on October 24, 2016
... Continuing fall severe weather awareness week for the arklatex...
Today's topic is severe thunderstorms... watches... and warnings.
The arklatex region is affected by numerous thunderstorms every
year. The strongest and most dangerous of these thunderstorms are
defined as severe thunderstorms. Severe thunderstorms are
thunderstorms which produce damaging winds... large hail and
tornadoes. A thunderstorm is severe when it produces winds of at
least 58 mph... hail 1 inch in diameter or larger... or a tornado.
Severe thunderstorms can occur during any time... and are most common
during the Spring. However... a secondary peak in severe
thunderstorms occurs in the fall for our region.
Severe thunderstorm watches and tornado watches are issued by the
Storm Prediction Center... when atmospheric conditions are
favorable for the development of severe weather or tornadoes.
Severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings are issued by
your Shreveport National Weather Service forecast office... when
severe thunderstorms or tornadoes are imminent... either as
indicated by Doppler radar... or when observed and reported by
reliable sources... such as Skywarn spotters.
To protect yourself and your property from severe thunderstorms... it
is important to stay abreast of the latest weather conditions.
Staying updated through NOAA Weather Radio from the National Weather
Service... as well as monitoring television... radio and the
internet... will help you be better prepared for the dangers
associated with any severe thunderstorms in your area.
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Coastal Flood Watch , High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- California - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning, Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Mississippi - Special Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- New York - Record Report
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning, Wind Advisory
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- Texas - Public Information Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report