Current Watches and Warnings
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 12:28 PM EDT on September 28, 2016
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on September 30, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch in effect from 6 PM EDT this evening through
The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has expanded
* Flash Flood Watch to include portions of central Virginia and
western Virginia... including the following areas... in central
Virginia... Albemarle... central Virginia Blue Ridge and Nelson.
In western Virginia... Augusta and Rockingham.
* From 6 PM EDT this evening through Friday morning
* a powerful low pressure system over the Midwest will bring
periods of heavy rain to our area tonight through Thursday
* Widespread rainfall amounts of 3 to 6 inches are expected... with
localized spots potentially getting up to a foot of rain.
Additionally... the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge have an
increased risk for higher totals.
* High potential exists for flooding of small streams... as well as
urban areas. Additionally there is a potential for the hardest
hit locations to see severe flooding and flash flooding.
These next few days will be a dangerous time... requiring more
than the usual awareness... planning and preparations.
If you are near streams or drainage ditches... keep an eye on them
and be ready to quickly seek higher ground. Water may rise
Clear out storm drains.
Those prone to basement flooding should prepare. Communities
prone to flooding should prepare.
Continue to check in on the forecast for updates.
Warnings will be issued for areas where flooding is imminent. Ensure
you get warnings from the National Weather Service through your
Mobile phone and or NOAA Weather Radio.
Be prepared to take action if a warning is issued for where you
are or if flooding is observed.
Ensure your kids dont play near flood waters.
Remember if you come across water crossing a Road... turn around
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:29 PM EDT on September 28, 2016
damaging thunderstorms are possible this afternoon and evening.
Residents of west central and north central Virginia and across
southern Maryland should monitor this situation closely and ensure
your NOAA weather radios are set to alert Mode. Severe weather
warnings may become necessary. Here are some safety rules to keep in
mind when severe weather is expected or is occurring.
If a warning is issued... seek shelter indoors immediately. A severe
thunderstorm is defined as producing quarter size or greater hail
and wind gusts of 58 mph or more.
Be prepared to take quick action if a Severe Thunderstorm Warning
is issued for your area... monitor local conditions closely and be
ready to take quick action to save your life.
Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio... commercial radio or television
for the latest on this potential severe weather event. Additional
weather information... can be found at weather.Gov/Washington or
- Alabama - Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Coastal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Guam - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Areal Flood Watch
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Special Weather Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Coastal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning
- Pennsylvania - Areal Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Special Weather Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory