Current Watches and Warnings
Vermont, Western Addison
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 5:00 AM EDT on April 28, 2015
... Severe weather awareness week in New England and New York...
The National Weather Service... along with all the New England states
And the state of New York... have proclaimed the week of April 26th
Through may 2nd as severe weather awareness week.
It is very important to understand hazardous weather terminology in
Order to take proper action if and when severe weather threatens.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is issued... covering a large area (several
Counties and possible states)... and is valid for a lengthy period of
Time (4 to 8 hours) when conditions are favorable for the possible
Development of severe weather in the area. A severe thunderstorm
Includes damaging winds in excess of 58 miles an hour... hail of 1
Inch diameter or larger... or possibly a tornado. Severe thunderstorms
Also contain deadly lightning and heavy rain capable of producing floods.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued by County for a
Relatively short period of time (hour or less) when severe weather
Is imminent or observed.
A Tornado Watch is issued... covering a large area (several counties
And possible states)... and is valid for a lengthy period of time
(4 to 8 hours) when conditions are favorable for the possible
Development of severe weather... including tornadoes.
A Tornado Warning will be issued by County for a relatively short
Period of time (hour or less) when severe weather has been detected
By Doppler radar or has been observed.
A Flood Watch is issued... covering a large area (several counties and
Possible states)... and is valid for a lengthy period of time (greater
Than 6 hours) when the threat of heavy rainfall during the course of
The watch period increases the potential for flooding that may
Endanger life and property.
In the mountainous terrain of the north country... heavy rain in a
Short period of time may lead to devastating flash flooding.
A flood or Flash Flood Warning will be issued when observed rainfall
Compared with local flood guidance indicates that flooding is
Imminent or when flooding is actually observed.
When your area is under a severe weather watch... remain calm but be
Alert for changing weather and be prepared to take immediate action
If a warning is later issued. When a severe weather warning is
Issued... take immediate action to protect yourself. If possible...
Go to a sturdy indoor structure. In a flooding situation... move to
Despite great advances in weather detecting technology... a network of
Trained personnel and a host of severe weather products... each year
People die from weather related causes because they did not know
About the warning.
A battery operated NOAA all hazards weather radio with tone alert
Capabilities is one of the quickest and most reliable ways to
Receive severe weather information.
For more information on severe weather as well as forecasts and other
Weather information... check the National Weather Service web site at
Weather.Gov and for the Burlington office... click on Vermont.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Frost Advisory
- Kansas - Frost Advisory
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Maine - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Frost Advisory
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- New Jersey - Public Information Statement
- New York - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Ohio - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Frost Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement