Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, East Sweetwater County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:00 AM MDT on April 24, 2014
... This is severe weather awareness week in Wyoming...
The week of April 21 to April 25 has been designated severe weather
awareness week in Wyoming. Today we will discuss fire weather.
What is fire weather and why would it be included in severe weather
Fire weather is a broad term used to describe weather variables that
influence fire potential... behavior... and suppression. The National
Weather Service issues watches and warnings when weather variables
encourage extreme fire behavior... just like the National Weather
Service does for extreme winter weather conditions or for severe
There are two products issued to warn of extreme fire behavior. The
first is a Fire Weather Watch which is issued when the weather is
expected to encourage extreme fire behavior a couple of days from
now... and it is often upgraded to what is known as a red flag warning
once the time of the anticipated conditions draws near.
When is a red flag warning issued?
The main two weather elements that encourage explosive fire growth
is very low relative humidity and breezy winds. Humidity below 15
percent in combination with gusty winds above 25 mph... have shown to
result in explosive fire growth when fuels are critical. If these
conditions are expected then a red flag warning is issued within 24
hours of the event.
A red flag warning will also be issued when thunderstorms with
little or no rainfall are expected when fuels are critical. Dry
thunderstorms can initiate multiple new fire starts... which can tax
fire fighting resources.
If a red flag warning is issued for your area... this is your signal
to be even more cautious with fire.
Wildfires can be started by the slightest spark... even from something
as perceptively harmless as parking an atv in the grass... the warm
muffler may start a grass fire.
Check for current burn bans for your County... and please take
them seriously. If you plan on doing some agricultural burning...
please notify your local sheriff and Fire Department to ensure that
it is Legal and that you do not cause any false alarm calls.
Also please call the National Weather Service at 800-211-1448 for a
forecast first so that you ensure that red flag conditions will not
develop and cause your fire to become uncontrollable.
Severe awareness week in Wyoming will end tomorrow with a test
Tornado Warning at 1030 am MDT issued by National Weather Service
offices serving Wyoming. This test Tornado Warning will be followed
by a test severe weather statement at 1045 am MDT which will cancel
the test warning.
This statewide drill offers government officials... law enforcement
agencies... schools... and businesses as well as other private groups
and citizens the chance to test their severe weather communications
and plans in advance of severe weather season. The National Weather
Service encourages participation in this drill.
meteorologist and fire weather program manager
National Weather Service
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory
- California - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Colorado - Freeze Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Freeze Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- Delaware - Fire Weather Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Maine - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Fire Weather Watch
- New Hampshire - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Freeze Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Flood Warning , Freeze Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Ohio - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Avalanche Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Fire Weather Warning
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Utah - Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Warning , Avalanche Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement