Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Shirley Basin
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:14 AM MDT on April 21, 2014
... Public information statement...
... Severe weather awareness week begins today in Wyoming...
The week of April 21 to April 25 has been designated severe weather
awareness week in Wyoming. Each morning this week the National
Weather Service (nws) in Cheyenne will issue public information
statements focusing on a different topic each day.
Topics of discussion include...
Monday... NWS watch and warning program and climatology
Tuesday... severe weather hazards
Wednesday... weather information sources
Thursday... lightning safety
Friday... severe weather safety and the statewide tornado drill
By definition... a severe thunderstorm contains hail that is one inch
in diameter or larger... generates straight line winds of 58 mph or
stronger... and/or produces a tornado. The NWS does not consider
lightning... regardless of intensity... as criteria for a severe
thunderstorm. However lightning causes 55-60 fatalities and 400
injuries each year nationally... and thursdays topic will discuss
A Tornado Watch means... NWS meteorologists have determined that
conditions are favorable for tornado development in your area.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means... NWS meteorologists have
determined that severe thunderstorms are likely to occur in your
area... but tornadic development is not as favorable.
For a tornado or Severe Thunderstorm Watch... remain alert for
approaching storms... and be ready to take action if a warning is
A Tornado Warning means... NWS meteorologists have determined
that a tornado is occurring... or likely to occur within minutes... in
a specified area.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning means... NWS meteorologists have
determined that a severe thunderstorm producing damaging winds and/or
large hail is occurring or likely to occur.
For a tornado or Severe Thunderstorm Warning... take immediate action
to help protect life and property.
The severe weather season in Wyoming usually runs from
may through September. Over 70 percent of all severe weather
reports... including large hail... damaging winds... and tornadoes
occur from may through July... with over 80 percent of tornadoes
occurring in the same time frame. The majority of the severe weather
occurs between the hours of 2 PM and 7 PM.
For more information about severe weather preparedness on the
web... go to www.NWS.NOAA.Gov/om/severeweather/resources/ttl6-10.Pdf.
Staff members from the NWS in Cheyenne are available to conduct
presentations regarding weather safety... awareness... careers... and
numerous other topics. To schedule a presentation for your school...
community... church... or civic group please call 1-800-269-6220.
Attention media... in order for severe weather awareness week to be
effective... media coverage is critical. Please use the public
information statements in your news programs to help promote severe
weather safety. We also encourage media interviews. Please contact
the NWS in Cheyenne if you are interested.
science and operations officer
National Weather Service
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flood Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Maine - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Oregon - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Utah - High Wind Watch , Special Statement
- Vermont - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement